How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask familylawexpert Your Own Question
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 311
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
familylawexpert is online now

My Son and his partner have split up and have a 2and half year

Customer Question

My Son and his partner have split up and have a 2and half year old son.
My son lives with us and was having his son to stay at weekends and one night in the week.
When my son has him he has his mobile phone on but when my son doesn't have him he has blocked his ex due to her constantly texting or ringing and then they argue as its not always about his son.
she can always contact myself(his Nan) or his Grandad or the landline, but she says that my son can't have his son unless she has 24/7 contact on his mobile.
I just wondered if there is any legal requirement about having the mobile contact 24/7.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.

My name is Mac and I can help you with your question.

There is no legal requirement for your son to have his phone on 24/7, or at all (or even have a phone).

A court would not support the mother in blocking contact for that reason. If she cut off contact on that basis, he would be able to ask the court to make an order for his son to have contact with him - presumably asking for the original arrangements to be reinstated - and I would expect him to have a good chance of success.

I hope that is helpful. If you would like me to clarify anything, please ask. If not, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much for your reply, It is very helpful.

Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.
No problem at all, I wish him the very best of luck.

If you could remember to rate my answer, I would be grateful.

Kind regards,