How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35050
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Good afternoon, I really need some advice with regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer Question

Good afternoon, I really need some advice with regards XXXXX XXXXX partner and my break up! We have been together until 3 weeks ago when he walked out on myself and our 2 girls 20 and 17. The older girl has mental health issues and the younger girl is at full time college. He runs his own business for 7 years and i have worked as his book-keeper and secretary for 4 years (16hrs per week min wage). I know he has a considerable amount of money prob in the region of £150,000. Am I entitled to any of his money! He has left us with nothing and as he owns the property we are in he is asking me to pay rent! I dont know what to do!
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Please confirm whether or not you are married, and what financial contribution you have made to the property?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

WE are not married and with regard to the property my partner paid cash for it 22 years ago! I have lived here with him since then I contribute to household costs gas, electric, buying food clothing our children, buy soft furninshings petrol for the family car out of my money! He has his own business which he started seven/eight years ago and I have been working for him doing his admin and bookkeeping. Until about a year ago he was fine but has taken things to heart in recent times and gone really strange! As far as I am aware there is no one else! Our youngest child (17) is in full time education and unable to get a part time job due to the current climate and has no spending money! The older daughter unfortunately has some mental health issues and is unable to work at the present time. The property is only worth about £55,000. I hope this is the information you may require!

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
How much have you contributed towards the business?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Nothing financially!

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I am afraid that there is little good news I can give you.
Since you are not married and you have not made a financial contribution to the property or the business you have no claim on them.
Your ex does have to help you house your children until they are 18 - but that is not long.
However you can try and negotiate with your ex - he may not realise that your claims are limited and he will certainly find it cheaper to give you a lump sum to allow you rehouse yourself than to risk court action
In any event he does have to give you reasonable notice to leave (you could argue for six months in the circumstances) and he cannot charge you rent in the mean time
I am sorry not to give you better news - please ask if you need further details