How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35215
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am Married,My husband has properties in the Uk and Nigeria,we

This answer was rated:

I am Married,My husband has properties in the Uk and Nigeria,we were married in Nigeria but I have lived in the UK for almost ten years and have a visa of ten years ,myself and my husband have lived Separate lives for almost 8 years,he pays the mortgage and the fees of my four boys,I stay in the UK to look after their welfare,until last year when we tried to reconcile we had no sexual contact but that did not work as accused me of infidelity and beat me both in Nigeria and in the UK,He is now trying to sell the house where I reside ,can u please advice as to my rights and how to stop the sale of the property ?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you actually been married and how old are the children?
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What are the other assets worth and what income does your husband have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi ,sorry it took this long,I was expecting the response immediately on Saturday.

I have been married for 22 years<my first son is 21the second is 20,the third is 17and my last son is 15,the property is worth £590,000,I believe he paid 90% of the mortgage to create credit for himself,my husband is a banker and has at least three other properties that I know of in the UK,to be honest I don't know his worth but I know he is a millionaire in any currency

Who actually owns the property that you live in and are you willing to start divorce proceedings?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He owns the property as its in his name but he does not live here and is going behind my back doing things,he has already started divorce proceedings in Nigeria and has filed without my knowledge which has now been served on my person

So there are ongoing proceedings in Nigeria
Have you instructed someone to deal with this in Nigeria?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi there

I have insrtucted a lawyer in nigeria to take up proceedings in relation to the divorce as I find that the prospects of living with my Husband scares me as I have to lock my my doors whwnever he's around for fear of him trying to harm me.


You can stop the sale of your current home by Registering your Matrimonial Home Rights on the property using the form here
he will not be able tos ee the property until the financial side of the divorce is dealt with - either in Nigeria or here
If your husband is violent towards you then call the police - and you can also apply for an Order excluding him from the property
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you