How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35049
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

hello, my grandaughter has scalded herself and is currently

This answer was rated:

hello, my grandaughter has scalded herself and is currently in hospital with my daughter recieving treatment. the police and social services think it was done deliberately by my daughter. i don't believe this for one moment but understand as her father i am obviously going to believe this. i do believe she should not have left a young child unattended as she went upstairs to get some clean towels.there is going to be a court hearing on monday 10th february 2014 and although i am unsure of what the meeting will be about, i am wondering whether i should get a solicitor to represent her. my daughter has 5 children in total. their father has nothing to do with any of them since a split a little over a year ago. my daughter is worried that social services may take one or all of her children into care. any advice will be realy appreciated.
thanks, anthony
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

18 months old

How old are the other children and where are they at the moment?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the other children are 5, 4 , 3, and 3 months old. they are with us at our home.

Sorry - do they usually live with you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no. we ussually have 1 or 2 on weekends when both myself and wife are off work but they ussually live with my daughter.

What court papers have been served on your daughter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

not sure as she is currently 60 miles away in hospital. all i know is there will be police and social services present. i can't realy ask my daughter as she is in the hospital with the phone off at the moment.

I am sorry but I fear that your daughter is indeed facing a serious problem and the possibility of one if not all the children being made subject to Care Proceedings.
I would suspect that the hearing on Monday is about the child currently in hospital to prevent her taking the child home.
You MUST get legal advice for her first thing Monday morning
You can find a local family law specialist on this website
You may need to consider whether you would be able to care for all five children for a few months if need be.
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i still can't find out any more info as nobody is telling my daughter what is going on although she has been told she can not be present. as far i can find out there is a meeting between the police, social services, including catherine's health visitor, and a safeguarding officer. are they allowed to hold a hearing where my daughter can not attend or be represented legally. i have tried to contact several solicitors this morning but all offices closed. it seems unfair to inform catherine on a friday evening when the case is being heard on the following monday leaving no opportunity to arrange legal representation. what would you advise as my next approach to this sutuation? she has had no contact from the police whatsoever so realy can't understand why they are being asked to attend. sorry for so many questions but i feel this could get very serious and there is nothing that i can do to help.

From what you have said this is not a hearing it is a meeting at which the various agencies will share information with a view to deciding whether or not an Emergency Protection Order will be applied for,
This is good news as it suggests that nothing is being assumed.
Contacting a solicitor on Monday will be fine
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you