How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have just separated form my partner - we have a mortgage

Customer Question

I have just separated form my partner - we have a mortgage together and 1 child:

Are there any bills I can stop paying? for example internet/tv, phoneline, - i no longer live at the property and can't afford to pay this for someone else!
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child and what income do you each have?
How much are you paying (and are you married)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


the child is 2 and we are married, my income is approx £1600 per month.


my wife's income is £4000 per year approx which is mainly tax credits .and also £150 Per Month for maintenance for her 16 year old.


I'm paying:

£60 a month for the Telephone,broadband and numerous tv channels,

approximately £90 a month Gas and Electricity.

£139 Council tax

£35 a month water

£460PM for the mortgage

£37 per month for insurance ( buildings, contents and mortgage)

TV licence I have paid for too .

£323 a year for car insurance for both of us.


hope that makes sense






Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Just to check - who is actually using the car?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am




Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Your child maintenance requirement is 12% of your gross income - at most - less if you have the child overnight
This must be paid.
Given your limited income spouse maintenance is not necessarily payable but paying half of the mortgage would certainly cover it for the time being.
Your ex should then expect to pay her bills from her income and her maintenance.
You remain responsible for the car insurance of course!
If you wish to be generous you could pay the whole of the mortgage as well as the child maintenance
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details