How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask familylawexpert Your Own Question
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 311
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
familylawexpert is online now

Hi my son who is 19 years old is leaving with us and have a

This answer was rated:

Hi my son who is 19 years old is leaving with us and have a son(1year) unfortunatly he is not working and he is lokking to back to study full time, the mother of his son mmy grandson just said to him if he doesen't give her money he will never will see his son again, She is leaving in her parents house , also she is getting all the benefits she can, and every weekend she goes clubing and don't came back to sleep (she have told this to my son) so, her parents look after the baby, my question is Is she can prohibited my son to see his son? and don't bring him to my house to sleep over, because he is not given her any money for the baby

My name is Mac. I can help you with your question.

No, the mother cannot stop your son seeing his son just because he has no income from which to pay maintenance. If she did stop him, he could ask the court for an order permitting his son to have proper contact with him and, unless there are other reasons why not, I would expect a court to make an order for contact between the two of them.

I hope that is helpful. If you would like me to clarify anything, please ask. If not, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you for your answer, however I need to know where to go for this permission, you said court what court and if I'm going to need a solicitor


thank you

It would be your son that needs to make the application rather than you, although obviously you could help him with it. Generally, the application would be made to the nearest family court. If you don't know where it is, you can find it using the following site:

Your son does not have to have a solicitor - he is perfectly allowed to represent himself, and many people do these days. Of course, if people can afford a solicitor, they often do do that, as they hope to benefit from the extra expert advice.

Of course the best thing to do is not to go to Court in the first place - either by convincing the mother not to withhold contact, or perhaps suggesting mediation if she does.

familylawexpert and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you