How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35050
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi,Where would I stand if I default on a payment to my ex-wife

This answer was rated:

Where would I stand if I default on a payment to my ex-wife in respect to a divorce settlement where I have to make monthly payments of £2k+ for her so say hares in my business for 10 years! Basically since the divorce (2.5 years ago) i have been on the back foot with the HMRC in that I have paid all that is due self assesment and the settlement specified that i had to pay the ex wifes CGT again i just about paid in full last year. This has left me with no savings what so ever so when again I needed to pay my self assesment tax i have had to break it down in intsallment although this time HMRC have said that i need to pay sooner and that i have exhausted my right to pay in installments. Sorry for the long question but if i was to hold the payments so i could clear things with the HMRC then pay the ex at a later date. It would be no good asking for the ex wifes permission as it would jeopardise her 4 holidays a year and her new cars!
Hope you can help?

Best Regards

Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Has your income decreased since the Order was made?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Good Evening Clare,
My income has basically stayed the same, it's the out goings that remain a considerable amount. I took the decision to keep the family home for the children's sake as I have 50% custodidy and the factory that I half own with the ex wife is mortgaged against it.
I know it maybe difficult to gain the full picture but I guess I made the decision to try and keep everything as normal as possible.
The child support remains at roughly £300 for my two girls wich I have no problem with although they do not see any of it!
I also do not live any where above or near my means.
I hope this helps?
Best Regards
If you default on payments then I am afraid that your ex has a wide variety of enforcement options available to her - everything from sending the Bailiffs in to Imprisonment - with you paying the costs she incurs
At what point she will apply for which method is difficult to say - but all the options are set out here
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you