How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3843
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

my husband left tenyears ago its my house now i am getting

Customer Question

my husband left tenyears ago its my house now i am getting is debts sent to me how can i stop it
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

Firstly it is important to note you are not responsible for your husbands debts unless you personally guaranteed.

What you should do is prepare a standard letter to each creditor that reads as follows:
1. The debtor they have referred to no longer resides at this address and does not have any possessions or property at the address;
2. You are under no circumstances responsible for any of his debts;
3. Any letters that continue to be sent to you chasing for the debt you will deem unlawful harassment under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 which is a criminal offence;
4. Say that if they continue to chase you, you reserve the right to report the matter to the Police and your local Trading Standards;
5. Say that as a gesture of goodwill you are prepared to provide a forwarding address for your husband but are not prepared to enter into any further correspondence with them (only say this if you have a forwarding address).

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Can I assist you any further?

Kind regards