How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi i have recently changed my childs surname through solicitors

This answer was rated:

Hi i have recently changed my child's surname through solicitors with my ex (the father) consent hes its all gone through and the name is XXXXX XXXXX now saying hes changed his mind and has seen a solicitor who says he can appeal the decision. He has no contact with my daughter and hasnt seen her since she was 2 shes now 7 also ive never recieved maintenance where do i stand
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Just to check - he was consulted and signed the documentation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes my solicitor contacted him via letter he signed the form and sent it back i went into my solicitor on tuesday and signed the bits i needed to and came away with the name change deed now he is sayin hes seen a solicitor as has been told he can appeal it (he tells lots of lies and plays lots of mind games) but i need to know the legalities for peace of mind thanks
it is more mind games
It was all done properly and the consent was given freely - he cannot Appeal against something that he agreed to.
If he does make an application to the court then he will have to explain the change of mind - and given his lack of relationship with the child it is likely that the court would allow the name to be changed in any event
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi if he did take me to court wud that cozy him a lot of money?
If he does it himself then only £215 - if he instructs a solicitor then upwards of £1000