How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35063
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I thought I had changed my sons surname legally without permission

This answer was rated:

I thought I had changed my sons surname legally without permission from his father through deed poll as he was born outside the uk and I was not married to his father. I recently applied for a passport and they will not issue one in his changed surname without a letter of consent?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Where was the child born and when, and is the father named on the Birth Certificate?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


the child was born in France in 2008 and his father is named on birth certificate but we were not married.

Why did you think that you did not need his permission?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

through deed poll, it says if the birth was registered outside the uk and you are not married then the father does not have PR and that was the reason they allowed the name change

I am afraid that this is not correct - the fact is that your ex does have Parental Responsibility for the Child - both in France and here - and you need either his consent or a Court Order to change the name
I am sorry to give such bad news - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you