How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34893
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My daughters partner left her for another woman. Apparently

Customer Question

My daughters partner left her for another woman. Apparently this other relationship had been going on for a while. When he left my daughter was pregnant with his child. Before leaving he encouraged her to have an abortion, obviously to make leaving her easier.
My daughter eventually decided to have the abortion. This decision caused her much mental stress. She was off work for a number of months and had to seek councilling which is still ongoing after more than a year. Her ex-partner on the other hand carried on with his life with no care in the world.
They are now in dispute about settlement of the property they lived in. This is causing her more stress.
Is there any civil action she can take out against him e.g. for cruelty/stress? If so what would be necessary for the action to be successful?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Just to check - were they married?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No they were not married.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Then I am so very sorry but there is no action that can be taken in respect of the hurt that he has caused - there is no law that allows her to do so
I am sorry to have to give bad news
Please ask if you need further details