How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35059
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have recently re-married (Dec13). My husband has 2 children

This answer was rated:

I have recently re-married (Dec'13). My husband has 2 children from previous marriage and I have 2 children. I have some money (only 1/5 of what he has) to invest in a property (conversion of barn he currently owns). He wants us to become 'tennants in common' as he wants to ensure his children will inherit their fair share. How would this affect me upon his death? If I chose not to own a share in the property, what would happen to my right to live in the family home in the event of his death? Thanks. J
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What assets do you each actually have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will invest £76,000 and my husband will receive around £260,000 from sale of his house and the current value of barn and land before renovation is £300,00 (which belongs to him). He wants the property to be divided in the will so that what he invests is taken out and split between his 2 children and what I invest is split between my 2 children and that the profits relating to house price interests is divided as a percentage between chn according to proportion initially invested. Thanks x

Do you have any other assets?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I don't. x

He has a business and a pension. I don't know how much his business assets are worth.

Where were you living prior to the marriage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I lived with my ex husband who decided to leave me after 17yr marriage. We sold house and divorced before moved in with my current husband.x

(met current husband after separated from ex)

The concept of holding the property as Tenants in Common so that each of you can leave your share to your children
HOWEVER that is only fair if proper provision is made for your accommodation in the event of your husband's death - and indeed for your support.
This can be dealt with after his death by way of an application to the courts - details here
I hope that this is of assistance -please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. Very interesting. If I chose not to become a Tenant in Common and he had sole ownership of property, would I be entitled to live in house after his death in the event of him leaving the property to his children in his will? x

The answer to that is the same I am afraid - if no provision has been made in the Will then you would have to make an application to the court
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you