How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I have a severely autistic son who is 18 and should be able

Customer Question

I have a severely autistic son who is 18 and should be able to stay in education until july 2015 however due to his challenging behaviour and the sheer size of him the school is concerned for the other pupils and staff and I have been requested to consider moving him to a non educational setting sooner rather than later. I am a lone parent on income support and currently receive child benefit and child tax credit for him. When he moves to a non educational setting I will be £650 down on income and then his father will stop paying his maintenance of £200 due to him not being in education! my son is expensive to keep due to his requirements and specific obsessions and we will pretty much be unable to provide for ourselves, my son will be able to claim ESA but this will still leave insufficient funds and he will never be able to work due to his severe mental impairments. Is there any likelihood that maintenance can be continued to assist my son with living costs past the age of 18 if he is not in educational placements as I see no reason why I should be the only parent responsible for providing care?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you not receive DLA for your son?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes he does receive dla at high rate care and mobility, currently because he is still in education he does not claim ESA but will have to as soon as he moves to a non education placement and this is £250 less than we get for him on child tax credits and child benefit, then his dad will stop paying his £200 so in total that makes a difference of £450pm. From his ESA he will also have to make contributions to his personal budget

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
have had no answer yet and appears that this expert went offline
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
My apologies for the delay - and thank you for the explanation
have you looked at claiming Carers allowance?