How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34896
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner has filed a divorce, him and his ex partner have

Customer Question

My partner has filed a divorce, him and his ex partner have both agreed and signed the paper work and it has been accepted by the courts. As this is already done can his ex partner change her decision about finances/agreed decisions on the children?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  UKfamsol replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question

I need a bit more information to be able to answer:

Exactly what paperwork has been signed?
Exactly what is the agreement with regard to finances & the children?
What changes does his ex-partne want, and why?
Are there any court orders in relation to fiances and/or the children?
If so, how long ago were the court orders made?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thanks for the reply


The Decree nisi has been granted. The court has now received the signed copies from my ex over shared care child arrangements and also that she has agreed that she has no intention for claiming for money or property. She has signed this and all papers have been lodged at the court.


Basically she left the marital home and left the children with me and moved in with her partner (a same sex relationship). We share the childcare each week 3-4 nights a week and visa versa.


Due to recent events the relationship has broken down further and she has been violent towards me which is now being investigated by the police.


My question is now this has happened can she change what she has agreed and signed now it is with the court and try to make a claim for my house etc??



Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
For clarity do you mean that a Financial Order has been agreed and forwarded to the court for sealing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes this is correct


Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Have you both has legal advice?
When was it sent to the court?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it was sent to the court two weeks ago. Yes both have had advice. It was agreed by my ex that she would agree to a clean break which she has signed

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
In that case the Financial agreement cannot now be changed.
The arrangements for the children can always be altered as circumstances change.
You can read more about contact issues on this website
Please ask if you need further details