How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35087
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Some time ago, I applied for a divorce on the grounds of unreasonable

This answer was rated:

Some time ago, I applied for a divorce on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour. I filled in all the appropriate paperwork and paid the necessary fees.
The District judge returned the verdict that a decree nisi could not be granted based on the grounds stated.

I then waited the required time before filling in the forms on the grounds of 2 years separation. I did not know, and frankly could not afford, the £400 plus to start the process at the beginning, so filled in new grounds based on my initial petition. The judge again returned a verdict of not being entitled to a decree nisi.

In order to get a divorce based on new grounds, do I have to start from the beginning and try to find the money for a new petition?

Many thanks
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What allegations did you actually make?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

To be honest, I don't think I looked into the grounds well enough. I said that my wife had left the family home and reduced all contact to virtually nil, forcing me to move house as I could no longer afford the rent on my sole income.


There was no specific accusation (e.g. violence towards me, excessive drinking etc)

Then that is why the Petition failed I am afraid.
For clarity - did you apply to amend the original petition?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Looking at the letter the judge sent, no I didn't do this correctly.

I think I tried to apply on new grounds rather than amend the old petition.


How would I go about amending the petition?


Is there a particular form that I need to fill in that I have skipped over or do I just need an agreement to the amendment (in writing) signed by myself and my partner?

Does your ex agree that there should be a divorce?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, I've been away for some time.

\if you're still there, the answer to your last question was yes.

As a starting point get her agreement to the divorce in writing.
Then take the original petition and a Red pen
Cross out (in red) the Unreasonable Behaviour ground and the allegations.
Substitute it with the Two year Separation Ground and the Specific allegation - that you have lived apart form two years since xxx and underline the changes in Red
Resign and Re date - crossing out and underlining in red - then send to the court with the £95 fee
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you