How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35042
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I left my husband in Jan 2008. After 35years together. He stayed

This answer was rated:

I left my husband in Jan 2008. After 35years together. He stayed in the family home with my son (19). I moved In with my father who died in 2010. He left my brother and I his house. Where I still live. My husband is now selling the house. I want to apply for divorce. Can you tell me what I am entitled to. Irene Gardner
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage
How much is your share of your current property worth
What other assets and debts are there including pensions and what income do you each have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We are selling the family home for £500,000 there is no mortgage. My parents property which I now own is wort '£210,000 I took on a mortgage of £90,000 to buy my brothers share. My husband has a pension I don't know what he has in the bank. I more concerned with the property. I think he probably has about £60,000 savings I have £10,000 I do casual work earning about £150 per week ..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did you get those details I am still waiting for a reply
At the moment you remain entitled to 50% of the sale proceeds of the matrimonial home.
Within the financial side of divorce proceedings your husband can ask the court to vary this so that it reflects the other assets that you have.
However since he has savings and since your current home was inherited form your father it is unlikely that the division of the equity in the Matrimonial Home will be anything other than 50/50
You will also be entitled to a pension sharing order
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. He seems to think he is entitled to half of my house that was my parents. Is this correct?
No as I said since you inherited your interest in the property and he has substantial savings it is unlikely that he will be awarded a share of your current home
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your help
You are most welcome I hope all goes well