How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35051
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

If your husband or wife has to go into care, do you have to

This answer was rated:

If your husband or wife has to go into care, do you have to sell your house to pay for it?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Who owns the property?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The property is in my husbands name but I have lived with him for the past 40 years and we have been married for over 38 years, we never bothered to change the name on the deeds, it did not seem to be important

I am sixteen years younger hence the concern

Is your husband still mentally capable?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He has just had a clinical breakdown but is mentally capable. We do have power of attorney documents in place along with our wills which were checked by a local solicitor last year. They have been in place for many years

Hi Shirley
There is no cause for concern - you will not have to sell the house to pay the Care Home fees and the house is not counted as part of the assets when the Local Authority is completing the financial assessment
If you already have Powers of Attorney in place then you have done everything you need to have done
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your assistance, I am sure it will not to come to my husband gong into care as I certainly do not want this, I was just worried. You have completely put my mind at ease now and I thank you.


An excellent service which if required I would not hesitate to use again.

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well