How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Hello. I am divorced and bought my house outright with the

Customer Question

Hello. I am divorced and bought my house outright with the divorce settlement so there is no mortgage. My new partner has now moved into my house and has started to pay half towards the household bills. Can you please clarify whether he will be entitled to any porpoertion of my house in the future should we split up. The house is in my sole name.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.


Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

My answer assumes that they did not contribute any monies to the initial purchase of the property and that you shall remain unmarried.

The position is that where a person is not named on the registered title to a property then you can generally only claim an interest in the property if you have made either a capital contribution to it (ie. financing the purchase or pay for significant works which materially increase the value of the property) or have maintained the mortgage payments/paid rent or bills/food/expenses to a total that is more than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation in the area.
Provided they does not contribute more money in payment for food/bills/expenses than they would have otherwise paid in private rented accommodation for rent/bills/food and does not make improvements to the property which increases it’s market value then she would not be advised to make a claim against your property
If you have a mortgage on the property then you will need to give your lender a call to inform them that she intends to move in. They may send you their standard form Deed of Postponement which you must ask your partner to take to a local solicitor to execute and take advice on. It will cost around £50 and you will be in breach of your mortgage conditions if you do not arrange this if the lender required it.
or naturalisation.
You should otherwise apply in the normal way .

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.

Kind regards,