How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

DNA tests requested by ex partner

This answer was rated:

My ex husband is requesting DNA test on my 8 month old son, whom he has never seen or supported in anyway or been asked to either. He is not on the birth certificate my boyfriend is. The court has requested that we mutually agree to get the tests done. If he is proven to be the father what action can I take to stop him having any visitation rights as this would totally mess up mine and my sons life completely
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Why would your child be at risk if there was contact?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He wouldnt be at risk, its just one minute he wants to see him, then he doesn't want anything to do with him, he has stated that if I split up with me current partner then he will leave me and my son alone,

The reason that we split up in the first place was because he did want to be with me then the next day he would change his mind and this would go on and on, no way to live and I can't see that this would be a stable enviroment for my son to be in, bearing in mind he has never met him

The law says that a child is entitled to regular contact with both parents - and the courts will enforce this if necessary
If he is the biological father and seeks contact then I am afraid that unless you can prove that the child will be at risk then it will happen.
It would be wiser instead to offer contact on your terms - say two hours once a fortnight or once a week at a Contact Centre.
If he has no real interest in the child then he will not be willing to keep to such an arrangement - and if he is not willing to do that then contact will end
I appreciate that this is not what you wish to hear - but it is a realistic assessment of the position that you are in
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you