How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

How do I get my name on my son birth certificate

This answer was rated:

How do I get my name on my son birth certificate
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
When was the child born and what contact do you have with him?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My son was born 24th March 2007.I had weekly visits , when I payed maintenance. My name was not put on the birth certificate. His mother died just over a year ago. Since then he has been living with his step sister which I am happy with. He comes to stay with me every weekend.

Are there any Court Orders in place regarding the child?
What evidence do you have that the child is yours?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No court orders in place.No actual proof that he is my son.

Is the step sister willing to allow a DNA test to be done?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


In that case you need to have a DNA test done by one of the laboratories named here
Once you have this you will need to apply to the General Registry Office to have you name added
The form is here
You should send mother's Death Certificate at the same time
If this is not accepted you will have to apply to the Court for a Declaration of Parentage - the application form is here
But try the first way first!
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you