How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35065
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Divorce- I have my decree nisi, but I dont have a Solicitor

This answer was rated:

Divorce- I have my decree nisi, but I don't have a Solicitor anymore, how do I apply for my absolute, can I do this myself and to where do I apply to. Also I have no contact with my ex husband and don't want to, he lives in the matrimonial property and he pays the mortgage, the mortgage is in joint names, I would either like him to buy me out or sell the property, how do I go about this, do I need to get another Solicitor involved, I am on state pension and have a part time job so money is tight, I left the marital home in 2012 due to my husband hitting me, I did not have him charged, but the incident was logged with the Police. Many thanks.

Judy Bowler
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How far have the financial negotiations reached?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

None, my Solicitor at the time went through Pensions etc, but I don't want to touch his pensions all I want is my half of the property, the rest he can have, my ex husband has disclosed to a friend that he may well have to sell the property and seams ok with this. I did have a private pension but had to cash it in in 2012 so I could live and since then I have moved to my own place which is rented. Hope this helps

How long did you live together and were there any children involved?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Married 25 years, so been together 26 years, no children involved, the house is approx. £90,000 and the outstanding mortgage is £16,773.61. I don't know what r assets or debts there are on his side, the only thing that I had to do when I was on Job Seekers I had to get hold of a Debt Agency so I could consolidate what I owed and I pay them £100 per month, I only have just over £1000 now in savings, as I have had to buy furniture etc to set myself up in a new home. I own a car which has been paid off and need that to get too and from work.

May I ask why you do not want to make a claim on his pension - even if it is just to give you a larger share of the equity in the property?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Although I left my ex husband due to violence, I don't think it fair that I should claim on his pension, he has been done for DIC and banned for 2 years, so he must have lost his job, I just feel and I have felt this for some time that I really don't want any of his pension, just my share of the house, as he has to make a new start too.

Are you able to discus finances with your ex?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I haven't been in contact with him since the day I left July 2012 and I am afraid I will not contact him.

Could you manage to negotiate if there was a mediator involved - especially if you do not have to be in the same room?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, that is going to be difficult, he lives in Northampton and has been banned from driving, also he doesn't know where I am living, that is to say in which part of the Country, so I don't think so

Hi Judy
Unless you are able to resolve the issue with your ex via Family mediation ( then an application will have to made to the court for the financial issues to be dealt with
The court can order a sale of the Matrimonial Home and say how the proceeds of sale should be dealt with
It would be sensible to delay any application for Decree Absolute until then so that you can benefit from a Widows pension if matters are not resolved
Because there has been Domestic Violence you may still be entitled to Legal Aid to assist with this - so please see a Family Law Specialist as soon as possible
You can find one here
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your advice, I will get hold of a family mediator and go from there.

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well