How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband and myself no longer live together however we jointly

Customer Question

My husband and myself no longer live together however we jointly own the property he is now living in. My daughter and her children are having their home repossessed and I want to allow them to move into the house that I half own. Her father is not happy with the situation. Am I within my rights to allow my daughter and her family to move into my half of the property?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you.
No I am afraid that you cannot insist that they are allowed to move into the Matrimonial Home
They could certainly do so if you were actually living in the property - although technically whenever you were out and he was in they could be asked to leave until you returned.
I am sorry I appreciate that this is not good news but I am afraid that this is the law as it stands
Please ask if you need further details