How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Im trying to get some legal help for my brother whos having

This answer was rated:

I'm trying to get some legal help for my brother who's having a tough time with his ex-wife. They divorced 3 or 4 years ago. He lives in Scotland and she has moved down to Manchester with their 2 boys. She usually lets him visit the boys once a month, but recently has been refusing access and making it very difficult for him to arrange a weekend to come and see them. Is there anything he can do to make her agree to 'set weekends' for regular visits?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Clare

They are 2 boys, aged 6 and 10.

Thanks, Sally

Just to check - how long ago did she move?
What excuse has she given for refusing?
Does he want longer contact during the holidays?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


She moved when they separated about 4 1/2 years ago and now she just says they're busy when my brother emails to arrange a date. She's never agreed to arranging visiting dates in the future (apart from for the holidays), so it always has to be done 1 visit at a time, but this means now that she says they're busy or the children have a sleepover etc.. that it can become nearly 6-8 weeks between his visits.


They split the holidays fairly equally, so I don't think longer visits in the holidays would work. I think the issue is more that he likes the regular contact in term time in order to ensure his relationship with the boys doesn't deteriorate.




Hi Sally
That's fine - it is good to know he gets the holiday contact - so to be clear what he wants is a set pattern of monthly contact.
The law says that children is entitled to regular contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this.
Clearly it benefits everyone if there is a set pattern - the first friday or whatever in the month unless it is holiday time or something similar.
Your brother should try and discuss matters with his ex using Family mediation ( but if that fails then he can apply to the County Court local to her for a defined contact order
The form he needs is here
The fee is £215 and you can read more about the process here
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Clare - i'll forward that on to him.

You are most welcome I hope all goes well
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you