How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My ex husband has just immigrated to Australia with his partner

This answer was rated:

My ex husband has just immigrated to Australia with his partner and children. We have a 14 year old daughter who he has seen every other weekend and paid maintenance for for 13 years. He does not want to come back for holidays but wants me to send her out there. Where do I stand do I have to let her go? If yes how often. Also he emailedd me to say he didn't want to pay anymore maintainance but since I told my daughter this he has decided to drop from £600 to £400 per month. What rights does he have she has lived with me since she was born
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is there a court order for maintenance?
Does she wish to go to Australia?
is your ex intending to pay for the ticket - and where will he meet her?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no court order
She doesn't mind going to Australia
He will pay for the ticket and vie said she can only go if she travels ith friends or family
Has he accepted your restriction?
Do you know what his income will be in Australia?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He is trading for himself - where do I stand regarding having to send her to Australia for holidays?h he still got contact rights?
Your daughter is entitled to have contact with both parents - even if her father has moved to Australia.
provided she wishes to go and he is paying and making the appropriate arrangements during her school holidays then there is no reason not to - and if he applied to the courts then he would be successful.
He does however have to continue paying Maintenance and you can either apply to the courts here in the UK and then enforce in Australia - or by using the Australian CSA
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you