How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35057
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am recently separated and have one son, how do we work out

This answer was rated:

I am recently separated and have one son, how do we work out what is father should pay by way of support? We have been separated for 18 months and just paying all bills etc and dividing whats left but now that is no longer feasible and I don't know how to work the above out.
Thank you
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much does your ex earn - gross per annum - and how many night does your son stay with him?
Are there any other children that your ex is responsible for in any way?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Clare


He earns 42k per annum gross


1 night one week and 2 the following alternate.


No other children.


Thank you


Then under the newest Child Maintenance regulations he will need to pay £360 a month - the way that is calculated is set out here
Essentially it is 12% of his gross income subject to a one seventh reduction
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you