How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35211
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My ex has been ordered to pay child maintenance for the last

This answer was rated:

My ex has been ordered to pay child maintenance for the last 14 years. I had four children needing financial support, two have now grown up and I have two teenagers left. Although he has only been ordered to pay £3.33 per week, he pays nothing. The outstanding balance is £5317.40 The CSA seem to be unable to force him to make payments or clear outstanding amount. He is self employed and owns his own company and is an Associate. I do understand that he is able to put his money elsewhere, places abroad, so can appear to be unable to make payments. Is there anyone who could take up a case like this or is it impossible to investigate and enforce? Regards Niki
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Hat action have the CSA actually taken?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The CSA as far as I know have taken no action of proceedings to enforce, although they have mentioned it many times over the years. They say he does not reply to their letters. I just get letters once a year and a phone call once a year to confirm he should be paying but doesnt. They get paid for that, this annoys more than the none payment. It is maddening.

What do you know about his actual financial position?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I know he sells Million eur yachts as his company is yacht broker and charter. I understand he has money in other countries but he lives like he has nothing. He has remarried twice and has had six more children, five of them live with him. I understand he has put money in a charity in New Zealand, which I imagine is bogus. He has a barrister working for him who seems to be on tap, so he must have money to pay for him. Its just whether it can be looked into. It seems the CSA dont have the power to do anything. If they did he would have been ordered to pay more than just £3.33

Does he live here in the Uk?
What do you know about his lifestyle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He lives in the UK, he doesnt have a lavish lifstyle and lives in what was our marital home which is a four bedroom detached with two bdrm annex his mother lives in with 2 acres. The yacht he owned is now owned by his company. He was able to afford a 5 wk holiday and take 8 children to corsica for 3 wks. I feel that it isnt about what he does, it is about whether its possible for someone to be investigated

Your only way of dealing with this is to force the CSA to take action.
The starting point is to apply to the CSA and ask for a re-assessment
When that has been done appeal the re-assessment based on the fact that his declared income does not match his lifestyle
You are entitled to ask the CSA to detail what efforts they have made to enforce the Order and then take the matter through their complaints procedure - dealing with every thing IN WRITING
the process is described here
I am sorry not to give better news - you can get support from this group as well
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you