James Mather
James Mather,
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace

Divorce, equity split, savings

Customer Question

Hi I'm in the process of getting divorced, I have made my soon to be ex an offer on our property 4-5 bed,Valued at approx £300k,(although marketed twice over last 8 mths and received highest offer of £280k twice) with mortgage o/s of £147k, joint debts of about £10k & removing my original deposit of £30k which I put down from my previous marriage.
We have been, married for 9, I have offered him £27k, £10k now & the balance over 12 months & I will pay the joint Outstanding debts (because I don't trust him to do so, if given additional funds). He has refused & asked for a E form to be submitted & the house revalued, (he is doing his only legal work) the house has been marketed over the last 6 months & highest offers up to £270k.
I have savings of £8k & don't want to share with him in my own bank account. I did save this for my tax bill, my ex doesn't know about this money as far as I am aware. Do I have to declare it or Can I pay my self employment tax in advance from this money or pay a solicitor In advance for take my case. My ex has stopped contributing towards the house where I live with our 8yr old son, my 15 year old daughter, 24yr old & 3 foster children. I can't get a mortgage to move as my fostering income is not seen as salary & if I downsize, I won't have the space to continue to foster or afford to pay a mortgage on a new property as this is my job and I need the space to continue working. He also has refused to pay any maintenance. I'm worrying to death about money & having to move, I know he is doing this to scare me into not divorcing him & this behaviour is a kick back to receiving the decree nisi date on Monday. How much will I realisticly have to give him. Again I know some people say don't sell the house until the youngest is 18, but I just want rid of him the easiest way possible.
How long have you actually lived together and what other assets do you each have?
How much does a three bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy (yes i know but it is relevant!) and what income do you each have?