How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35052
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hello. I am currently seeking some legal advice surrounding

This answer was rated:

Hello. I am currently seeking some legal advice surrounding my newborn son.
Since finding out my girlfriend was pregnant, I dropped out of university to seek full time employment so that I could provide for her and our son. I got a family sized car, begun renting a house for us to live in and provided everything from cot to changing table, with the financial assistance of my parents.
Our son is now 2 weeks old and my girlfriend has been living with her mum for the entirety of this time. My parents have seen our son on only 2 occasions, and now after dispute, me and my girlfriend have ended our relationship.
We have mutually agreed *verbally* that I will see my son 2 days a week. However he is yet to be registered, and despite begging to have my name on the birth certificate as his father, she has not agreed to this. I am desperate to provide financially and be a part of my sons life, but I am worried that my name will not be on the birth certificate and I will have no leg to stand on
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you
You cannot force her to take you with her to Register the child I am afraid
However if she does not do so you can make two separate Court applications.
One for a Declaration of Parentage which will allow you to have your name added to the Register and a Second one for a Parental Responsibility and the right to be involved in all major decisions in the child's life
Alternatively she can attend with you to re-register the child.
You should try and discuss this with her using Family mediation (
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you