How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35085
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner and I live together and have a mortgage together,

This answer was rated:

My partner and I live together and have a mortgage together, we have a child but are not married. She would like me to leave, can she just throw me out. It is a breakdown of relationship,with no abuse or adultery?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
How old is the child and who deals with the day to day care?
How much do you each earn?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

170k with an outstanding amount of 103k approx. Our son is 8. We share the responsibilities. I earn £40k my partner earns £20k. She has said she wants me to move out, the splitting of assets is not in question at the moment, just whether she can force me to leave. I would intend buying her out eventually or selling and splitting the equity.




How much does a two bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy?
How will the ongoing care of the child be shared between you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just need to know if I can be thrown out of the house at the moment, not ongoing costs.


I shall take advice elsewhere as this is quite urgent.


Thank you

Unless there is an incidence of violence then you cannot be forced to leave the property.
So please be aware of this and if you feel that you are being provoked into an argument - walk away as otherwise you will find her calling the police and making allegations
In the long term she may be able to obtain an Order allowing her to live there without you - but that will take time and you will have a chance to oppose you
How successful that will be depends on the answers to the two questions I asked
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you