How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35087
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi i have got parental rights for a child who is not mine i

This answer was rated:

Hi i have got parental rights for a child who is not mine i am not on the birth certifacate,Do i have to pay maintanance for this child ?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How did you come to have Parental Responsibility for the child?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Through the courts both me and her mother took the paper work and had it stamped at the courts to say that i had parent responsibility over her when we got devorced as i have been brining her up as my own even though she is not mine and i am not on the birth certifacate

Then yes you are indeed liable to pay Child Maintenance I am afraid - but your ex CANNOT use the CSA to make the application as the child is not biologically yours
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok i have also found out she is now in contact with her real father this is causing real bad atmospher,how would i go about giving up my parental rights as im not going to be taken for a joke any more

Do you wish to give them up even though you would still have to pay maintenance?