How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35087
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My chidren are on a protection order due to violence between

Customer Question

My chidren are on a protection order due to violence between my ex and her now husband. Tomorrow social services are seeking a care order I want my children but also work would I recieve any help as I live in a 1 bed flat and with schooling etc
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Where are the children at the moment?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Living with my ex who has custody and her now husband

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
How old are the children and have Social Services invited you to all the relevant meetings?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

7 8 and 10. Ive not been informed of any of the meetings or dates and only received 1 letter regarding notes on a meeting that had taken place. Im in court at 11 today for interim care order

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
What actually happened?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Forget it this will take a year getting a reply from you...14 hrs for a reply is a joke

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
My apologies but I was in Court and meetings for most of the day yesterday - co-incidentally also care proceedings
As the father named on the Birth Certificates you should have received notification and been invited to all meetings and Social Services should indeed have assessed what assistance you would need in order for the children to be placed with you.
In fact it is an absolute requirement on them that they do so from the very beginning - and they should have done so even before applying for the Care Order
There is Case law regarding this
HOWEVER there is one potential problem which is reflected in your comment here
"My children have never been hurt or witness to any dv but have on occasion heard rows but what children havent"
If Social Services believe that the situation is serious enough to consider care proceedings your dismissive reaction will make then concerned about your ability to understand and prioritise the needs of the children.
If you have not already done so you should seek face to face Legal Advise - you are entitled to Legal Aid for this
Please ask if you need further details