How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partners child is now 16, obviously still at school. We

Customer Question

My partners child is now 16, obviously still at school. We know that he has to carry on providing for her while she is in full time education but can we now give that directly to her as an allowance so that she can pay board and have some money for herself as she would if she had a job rather than carry on giving maintenance to her mother?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
I am afraid that money that you pay directly to the child does not count as Maintenance and accordingly your partner needs to continue paying the money to the mother if he doe snot wish to end up paying twice.
Please ask if you need further details