How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my ex daughter in law has residency of two daughters. She

This answer was rated:

my ex daughter in law has residency of two daughters. She married just as her ex husband, (my son) had a baby with his new partner.

The new husband is an ex soldier and suspected of 'stress' and he lost it supposedly for the first time since leaving the army and rubbed dirt into the face of the 14 year old strong willed daughter and jugs of water were thrown. The 14 year old then moved in with her maternal grandmother about 6 months ago.

This maternal grandmother and grandfather were estranged from us but wholeheartedly supported the 14 year old and now welcome my son who has at last seen this 14 year old and begun to restore the relationship.

My son has been to court about 15 times prior to all this and has gave up seeing his children about 2 years ago.

Both sets of grandparents are now supporting the 14 year old who is very intelligent. The mother is accusing her of being mental. Would my son have to go to court to get custody and pay more money, and must both girls be together, i.e. must he have both daughters. He would not mind this but lives in another county where schools are not so good so the youngest daughter who has just won a place in a good local school here might want to stay with her mother and new stepdad.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Who does the 14 year old wish to live with?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

her dad has not yet broached this question as he is having to establish a good relationship first, but i would just like to know how to advise him regards XXXXX XXXXX ask, social services or a family court. He does not know i am contacting you.

i do not want to encourage the girl to reside with her dad if he can't afford court fees or has to go into debt to afford court fees.


How old is the younger child?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


At 14 this young lady's wishes will determine where she lives and with whom
At this stage there is no requirement for the children to live together
Your son should continue to build his relationship with his daughter and if she expresses the wish to live with him rather than her grandparents then he can make the Court application in person - so the only cost will be the £215 court fee
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you