How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35042
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I wish to divorce my wife because she physically abused and

This answer was rated:

I wish to divorce my wife because she physically abused and then abandon our children. There was an investigation by social services and I was given sole responsibility. I am now a single parent Father. If I now divorce my wife will that means I have to split my assets 50-50 ?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you lived together and how old are the children?
What assets and debts are there and what income do you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My estranged wife and I were married for 13 years. We have been separated for 3 years. The Children are 13 and 11 years old. I have been looking after them as a single parent for 3 years. She has two houses estimated price £150k and £125k. Myself and the boyz live in are own house which is approximately £125k. I earn £43k and have a debt of £8k. She pays no maintenance nor have hardly seen the children in the past 3 years.
How much is outstanding on the mortgages
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Estimate on her houses estimates of £50k and £80k .
Mine is about £105k
So in fact she has more assets than you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes - but she works part time but I do not know how much she earn.
I work full time but my wages is taken up providing for my two children
Then you have little to worry about in terms of the financial side of the divorce
The priority for the court is the safe and secure housing of the children until they are 18 - so there is no question of the house being sold yet.
The equity is also small and she has other assets meaning that her eventual share in the matrimonial home will also be very limited - maybe even only 10% of the equity
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you