How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKfamsol Your Own Question
UKfamsol, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 560
Experience:  Very experienced specialist family law solicitor, qualifed in 1994
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
UKfamsol is online now

is my ex-husband entitled to half of the money in the bank

This answer was rated:

is my ex-husband entitled to half of the money in the bank when hes took his name off and didnt put any money into the account?
Hello and thanks for your question.

I need a bit more information first.

How long ago did you divorce?
What did you agree about dividing up the assets or was there any court order about that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we are not divorce yet as i cant afford too. But we are seperated.
Ok - thanks for the information.

In that case, until a divorce petition has been filed at court, the court has no powers to make any orders regarding money or property. So that means that your husband cannot get access to a bank account in your sole name - but neither can you get any monies or share of any property that is in his sole name


you do it by agreement.

You could negotiate an agreement either between yourselves or via solicitors' correspondence or via mediation - which is cheaper than going to a solicitor.

Here's where to find a family mediator near to you:

If you'd like me to go into more detail, please let me know:

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

What other assets and debts are there?

How much income do you each have from all sources?

If you have any dependent children, who has the day to day care of them?

UKfamsol and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my ex-husband has been found guilty of trying too have sex with a 14 year old. He is trying to get my son too live with him but i dont want him too. Is there any chance that he can if he gose through the courts