How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask familylawexpert Your Own Question
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 311
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
familylawexpert is online now

I have ( comparatively ) low income , and ( comparatively )

Customer Question

I have ( comparatively ) low income , and ( comparatively ) high assets . It could be said I am asset rich but cash poor . What precedents affect the amount of child maintenance
I pay ?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.

My name is Mac. I can help you with your question.

If you just want to visit the CSA online support calculator, then you can find it here:
However, the CSA is also entitled to take account of circumstances where the lifestyle of the payer is inconsistent with the income.

If you would like further specific assistance, then I would need a bit more information, which will give you an idea of the factors that are relevant.

- what is your income
- broadly speaking, can you give me an approximation of your capital assets?
- how many children will you be paying child maintenance for to this parent?
- are you supporting any other children?

Most people will simply be governed by the CSA's calculator, but if you have substantial capital, then the parent with care can apply for a lump sum order on behalf of the child(ren).

The parent with care can also apply
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.

I notice that you haven't rated my original answer above, and so wondered whether there was any aspect of your question that I could help you with further?