How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask familylawexpert Your Own Question
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 311
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
familylawexpert is online now

i am divorced and in the settlement we made it was said that

Customer Question

i am divorced and in the settlement we made it was said that when my son became 18 or left education which ever came first my payments for him would stop
my son is now 18 and at collage and the csa have said that they can over rule this agreement
i would just like to know is this true
thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.

It is correct that the CSA can override a court order for child maintenance (after it has been in force for a year). They can impose a maintenance assessment upon you up until your son's 20th birthday for so long as he in full-time education (but only up to the end of A-Levels, not education beyond that level).

You can find out more, and also calculate your potential liability here:

I hope that is helpful. If you would like me to clarify anything, please ask. If not, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.

I notice that you haven't rated my original answer above, and so wondered whether there was any aspect of your question that I could help you with further?