How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34910
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My now partner of 1 year has an ex-wife (they have been separated

Customer Question

My now partner of 1 year has an ex-wife (they have been separated for 2 years in May 2014), who when we live in accommodation that goes with his job, takes advantage of the fact that there is still a current marriage certificate (soon my partner will divorce her on the grounds of 2 years separation and she says she will sign it), by walking in to our accommodation and I'm not happy with this because I don't feel that my right to safeguard my valuables or private papers are being flaunted by her actions. Is there anything I can do?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are there any children involved?
Has she confirmed in writing that she will agree to a divorce in May?
Can your partner change the locks?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She doesn't have a key. The accommodation has never been lived in by her and my partner (her ex), but we knew that his daughter (who is 31) was coming to have a meal, just before Christmas and her mother was visiting a friend nearby, so they were travelling together, but she decided that when I said "come in" thinking just the daughter, she walked in too, and I'd like to stop her thinking she can do this, my reason is that my partner seems to have contact with his daughter quite often behind my back,. and wherever the daughter goes the mother seems to be in tow. My ex was embarrassed and said he'd divorce her so that she hadn't got as much hold over him.



Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Did she leave when asked to do so?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Nothing was said, I was by then walking away and in the kitchen preparing the meal, I don't know what was said to her, she put down a Christmas present for my ex that's what I saw and a few words I noticed but I don't know what was said, and then she went.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I am afraid that if she has no key and is not accessing the property when your partner is not there then there is nothing that can be done
Indeed she has no right to enter the property in any event since it was not the matrimonial home and she is not an owner
You simply need to ensure that your partner tells his ex that she is not permitted to enter the property unless by prior arrangement
Please ask if you need further details