How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

My wife has left me.She has taken legal advice and as she is

Customer Question

My wife has left me.She has taken legal advice and as she is homeless and has only her state pension,I am required by law to provide for her.Her solicitor suggests an interim payment of £5,000 as she has to set up home again from scratch.
I have a small company pension on top of my state pension.
Is there any advice you can give me?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.

My name is Mac. I can help you with your question. First I need a bit more information:

1. when did you marry?
2. if earlier than the above, when did you start living together?
3. has either of you started divorce proceedings?
4. if so, are there also financial proceedings?
5. are there any children? (If so, how old?)
6. what is the value of the house (and any mortgage)?
7. what is the total value of the other assets you and she hold (a total value rather than individual values is fine)?
8. what is your pension income (after tax)?

Sorry to ask for so much information, but I want to give you a full answer.