How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

Good Evening. I moved into my Husbands home of 5 years and

Customer Question

Good Evening. I moved into my Husband's home of 5 years and I wish to separate. We have a child who is nearly 5. Where do I stand?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.

My name is Mac. I can help you with your question. First I need to ask whether your question is focussed on arrangements in respect of your child, or the finances?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I wish to take my child temporarily until we can reach a decision between ourselves as to how we can fairly divide our time and care. Finances, this is a mortgaged property in his name only and I have been asking and asking to be put on the mortgage but because I do not have an official job, Halifax the mortgage company will not allow me to be added unless I can show an income.

Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.

In respect of your child:
- will you be able to move into somewhere with your child that is suitable for you and him (her?) to live temporarily?
- how have you shared the care of your child up to now, in a typical week?
- how many days are you each at work?

In respect of the finances:
- how much is the house worth (and what is the mortgage)?
- what other assets are there?
- what do you each earn?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have our child between us living in the marital home and also my son who is nearly sixteen from my first marriage. I am in a very precarious position as I have no finances and I would have to move out and rent somewhere as I have no other living family.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am waiting for your reply please.

Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your message, but if I am to be able to give you some meaningful and detailed advice, I would be grateful if you could let me have the answers to my questions above. If you would like me to rephrase the questions, I would be happy to do so.