How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi,I just received a letter today from my ex informing me

This answer was rated:

I just received a letter today from my ex informing me that she is moving out of London with my son. She has already arranged new schooling and will be moving on the 5th April. I'm pretty certain this breaches my existing contact order. Could you advise please of what steps I can take from here.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child and what contact do you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Clare,

He will be 5 at the end of the month.

I have him alternate weekends from Friday pick up from school through to Monday morning drop off at school. I also have one night during the week. Tuesday/Wednesday alternating. School holidays are split equally.



Has she said what she is offering for the future?
Why does she wish to move?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No contact during the week apart from Skype on Tuesday after school. Alternate weekends from Friday afterschool probably about 1.5 hour drive back to mine from his school till 6pm Sunday if I drop him to her new place or 5pm at Paddington Station.

In the letter the only reason stated is moving to a bigger house.

Your ex is not entitled to change the contact order without going back to court - and is also not entitled to change the school without consulting you
You should make an immediate application to the court for a Prohibited Steps Order preventing her from changing the child's school unless and until the Court has decided that the move is in the best interests of the child
The form you need is a C100 available here
and a C2 to ask for an Urgent hearing
the fee is £215 and you should try and get it into court Monday at the latest
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you