How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Dear Mr or Mrs I have been married to my husband for 8 months

This answer was rated:

Dear Mr or Mrs

I have been married to my husband for 8 months now. I would like to divorce him but I was told I cannot do that before one year passes since our wedding took place. Is that really true?

Thank you.
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you
I am afraid that what you have been told is indeed correct
You have to have been married for at least a year before Divorce Proceedings can commence
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Clare


Thank you for your answer.


However, my case is a bit complex. I believe my husband used me to get his visa (he does not hold the visa yet). He also has not been sincere with the immigration solicitor. He expects me to lie for him to the Home Office. (I was not aware of many things regarding his status in the UK before the wedding). As I do not intend to do anything illegal (plus I am not happy with my husband in general) I would like an immediate divorce. Regarding all of the above, does is still hold that I cannot divorce him before one year of our marriage?


Thank you.

I am sorry but the position is absolute - there can be no divorce within the first year of marriage
You can however issue the divorce petition base don his Unreasonable Behaviour on your first Wedding Anniversary
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you