How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask familylawexpert Your Own Question
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 311
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
familylawexpert is online now


This answer was rated:

my wife filled for divorced and decree nisi issued in January 2011, since then she's had me arrested and kicked out of my house, won't finalise the divorce or sort out financial matters wont respond to my solicitors lets what are my options. im still waiting for an answer


My name is Mac. I can help you with your question. First I need a bit more information:

- have you initiated financial proceedings?
- have you considered applying for decree absolute and therefore forcing her to state openly her position on finances?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

swapped financial information through solicitors she as mine in full hers is vague, she's made me an offer ive rejected, ive said what ill accept, she refused to acknowledge anything different, no children involved its a straight forward 50/50split but she wants it in her favour greatly, as ive said her solicitors says they will contest the decree absolute on grounds it affects her financial case, if I apply for it

Have you suggested mediation? If not, I would recommend you do so.

If she refuses, I suggest that you initiate financial proceedings. That will put a court timetable in place, and ultimately force her to negotiate with you properly - as it leads to a court-based negotiation hearing where you both have to justify your negotiation position to the Court, and the Court tells you what the outcome should be.

familylawexpert and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you