How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35071
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hello My ex wife and I were divorced 4 years ago. Both of

This answer was rated:

My ex wife and I were divorced 4 years ago. Both of us have remarried.
Our youngest son was 18.
We had no solicitors acting on either of our behalves. No payments were ordered by the court. We agreed verbily that I would keep my pension and she would take the endowment policy when it matured last year. It had a shortfall which we were made aware of before our divorce so we made higher repayments to our mortgage and not increase endowment payments. She took that endowment then complained saying it had a shortfall. As we had another smaller endowment maturing this April in both our names I said she could have the first £2000 then we split the rest 50/50. Now it is coming to the time of payment she wants me to pay her £2000 out of my share of the 50/50 split from whole amount. I have been paying whole contribution of this policy.
Can my ex wife change this arrangement to suit herself as she says she could still take some of my pension. Thanks in advance Lui Guarino
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much were the Policies worth?
What is the Cash equivalent Transfer value of your pension?
What happened to the Matrimonial home?
Are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Clare

First one just under £20,000

The one coming out in April £10,000.

The family home was sold and shared 50/50.

No children involved youngest son now 22 was 18 when divorced.

Pension £30,000 lump sum and £300 a month.

I heard that once we were both remarried no claim could be made to the other person. If nothing was sorted out in court


When will you receive the pension?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do already and have done for the last 5 few years.

Can you please answer weather us being remarried makes any differance


The fact that you are both remarried means that neither of you can make any claims on assets which are not held in joint names
In this case the only asset that is in dispute is an asset that IS held in joint names which means that it is still a matter that can be considered by the court and the court can still decide to divide it in an unequal way
However your ex cannot make a claim against your pension which is safe
I would point out for your consideration that you are arguing over £1000 - so please be careful not to waste money on costs now!
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again Clare

Can I just confirm that my ex cannot claim against my pension as she now has sent a letter via a solicitor stating that my ex could not build up any pension as she did not work full time and are requesting me to provide value of my pensions on a voluntary basis.

If you read from before information given to you we had a verbal agreement I kept my pension and she took the endowment policy of just under £20000.

Also can you confirm that she has no access to my new wife's flat that is not in my name.


Lui Guarino

You are correct - she has no claim on the pensions and I suggest that you write to her solicitor and ask on what basis a claim could be made given the Decree Absolute and the re-marriage.
She has no interest in your new wife's assets