How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35042
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hello, my partner and I seperated when my son was 1,he is

This answer was rated:

Hello, my partner and I seperated when my son was 1,he is now 7.when he was 3 we went to court as my ex was taking drug and he was violent towards me and others. Never his son though, I got residence and he got access after proving himself. in the interim he was only allowed supervised access. Things were going ok (ish) I have just stopped access due to concerns (psychological)am I allowed to do this? e.g when my son doesn't listen he tells him he's going to make him have another heart attack ( he had one a yr ago)he lets him watch films that are unsuitable, he shows him no discipline. Do I need to inform the courts? I have tried explains what parental responsibility is but he hung up on me 3 times. He has told my son that he can go live with him and he can change school closer to him. He is due to pick my son up from school tomorrow can I tell his teacher not to let him take him ?Dad is on the birth certificate. He has never paid maintenance,
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What contact is he meant to have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Clare, he is meant to have him fortnightly Friday to Sunday with flexibility on both sides, he lived in a different city at this point, he moved back to our city a year ago, so I allowed him a Wednesday after school for a couple of hours, also because my son is a bit older now, he was wanting to see his dad more.
has he actually placed the child at risk during contact?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not physically it's a number of things it's one after the other, he failed to pick my son up from school on Friday at 3:15 as arranged, his excuse was at 6pm, he has only just got up because he's had a lazy day. I was at work. He lets him watch films one of which is called Paul it has swearing in nearly every sentence. My son now thinks he is going to live with his dad because he said he can. There's times when he's brought him home and said he's not eaten much but had ...... And reeled sweets crisps and pop off . This surely Is not acceptable.This is just this past week. My son is confused also he is currently being assessed for ADHD or similar.
None of the reasons you outline are sufficient to justify stopping contact altogether immediately
Instead you should offer to discuss these issues using Family mediation (
Certainly the inappropriate films and the late pick up are indeed serious issues - but they need to be discussed with him before contact is limited.
He is of course also wrong - there is no question of there being a change of residence
Since you have a Residence Order you should take that to school as that is what they need to be able to refuse him permission to take the child
As thing stand you should arrange an urgent Mediation appointment with a view to re-instating contact
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you