How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

How can I get my ex partner to sign over all rights to our

Customer Question

How can I get my ex partner to sign over all rights to our son, as he is never supporting him. I don't get no money to support his child, also he comes and goes in my sons life when he wants. My son is 9 months old and so far I've only received 2 payments to get milk, nappies ect, but nothing since. My ex has a past of drug use, and this has only ended the past month from what I can gather. I want sole custody and to be able to change my sons surname, what could I do, as I know going through court will be very expensive and time consuming. Could I get a solicitor to send him a letter to leaving me alone and stop harassing me?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What contact does he actually have with the child and why have you not applied to the CSA for maintenance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He comes and goes when he pleases. He see his son when it suits his daily schedule. Only see's him for an hour or 2 because he starts to moan at me and all I answer to him is "your here for your son not to talk to me". Probs 3 times a week he comes to see his son, but then he plays it as though he wants to see his so everyday, but then when I ask him to come he tells me a time and then turns up 2-3 hours later without even a thought to what I have to give up in my time. Or when it comes to the afternoon around 3-4 o clock he asks if it's ok for him to come up when I know it will take over an hour before he turns up, which then it's too late as I'm settling my son by having a bath and then his last bottle. He doesn't know his routine or what he likes or does. Every time I have told him that I will apply for CSA he turns round and says that he will quit his job so he wouldn't be paying anything, as he doesn't want me having money, which I have stated it isn't for me but for his son.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Does all contact take place in your home?
Is there anywhere else where you would be willing for it to happen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I try going out, but because it's a small town their isn't really a place to be able to take our son so he isn't in my household.
I would be willing to take him somewhere that doesn't involved my ex partner to be in my house, also I would prefer supervised visits.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Are there any family members who can help?
Is there a father and baby group at your local Children's Centre?