How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask familylawexpert Your Own Question
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 311
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
familylawexpert is online now

I was married 16 September 2000 and after separating my husband

This answer was rated:

I was married 16 September 2000 and after separating my husband and I agreed to divorce on 4 September 2006. I have a reference number for Edmonton county court and nothing else. My husband never completed and sent off the papers and I have never bothered to pursue the divorce until now.
I believe that the initial notice of proceedings is irrelevant and possibly obsolete at this stage, but without a copy of the marriage certificate etc, I am not sure what to do or where to start.
A few people have advised that I could go in person to Edmonton county court and have the matter resolved on that day.

Can you please explain what I need to do to get this completed and average costs etc and most importantly if this is the quickest and easiest way (not necessarily the cheapest, I do not mind).
Best regards, Devika

My name is Mac. I can help you with your question.

As a first step, I would recommend that you do go to Edmonton County Court, with the Court reference number, and ask to see your file. You will then be able to take a copy of it and see how far those proceedings progressed.

The fee for filing a divorce petition is currently £410, so if it is possible for you and your husband to continue the original divorce, then you will save on that fee. The Court staff at Edmonton should be able to help you with what form you should fill in next. If you are able to do that, then there is little further paperwork or expense (the final application in a divorce costs £45).

The real expense in divorce proceedings can be getting legal advice in relation to financial or children matters. If you do not feel that you need much of that, then the costs can be kept very low.

I hope that is helpful. If you would like me to clarify anything, please ask. If not, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.


familylawexpert and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you