How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34900
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hello. Me and my partner have been together for 16 Years but

Customer Question

Hello. Me and my partner have been together for 16 Years but we are not married and we have three children together 14, 13 and 1 years. We live in a housing association house as joint tenercy. I want to end the relationship but I am afraid of what he might do. I am a victim of domestic abuse and he make it clear that I will leave with nothing and that he will take are children. I want to know that if I do leave the house with the children can I go back ? Or if I don't leave how do I get him out? I don't expect him to leave with nothing and I am happy for him to take all content of the house and to keep the car that he owns. Also 6 years ago I stared a cleaning business, my partner did sell his car and give me some money to help me. I have done all the work building it up and putting my own money in. Also this has supported us over the last Three years as my partner has not worked much. Dose he have any rights to my business ? I do own a van worth £3.500 and again I am happy for him to have this. Thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is he physically violent - if so when was the last incident of violence
Who has the day to day care of the baby?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Yes sometimes he is but he never hits me. He will push and pull me. Pull my hair, push me against the side , doors or walls or just grab me. The last time was 01/01/2013. And it's not happened since then because I keep quite and do as he wants then it don't kick him off. He's very controlling I have not life or friends because of him. The baby is with a childminder two days a week my mum one and half days and my partner one and half days. I am home from 3 every day and I dont work weekends so I have the baby then thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
What income do you each have?
Will the older children wish to live with you rather than their father?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi my partner has no income really some weeks he works others he don't on Average about £70 a week but he never gives me any money if he dose work a full week. I earn about £250 a week and I get £100 from child tax credit. The older two would want to be with me. Thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
If the children wish to be with you then eventually the Tenancy will be transferred into your name.
This can be done by making an application to the court for a Transfer
You should try and discuss it with your ex first using Family mediation (
If he is violent to you in any way - and what you have described is indeed violence - please call the police
He has no claim on your business since in fact all it is is what you are able to do to earn money
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details