How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34911
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi my partners ex husband refuses to come to collect children

Customer Question

Hi my partners ex husband refuses to come to collect children now they live with me and expect the child's mother to meet him at a petrol station twice a week to hand kids over! He used to collect children from my partners old address even if I was there. He is now threatening solicitor involvement. Can you help?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children and is there a court order for contact?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clare,
The children are 6 and 11, there is no court order regarding the father seeing the children, it's all been fine until they moved in with me.
Both parents agreed that the children would be seen once in the week and every other weekend. The father agreed and had been collecting the children from their previous home with no issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you need any further information?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The children's father is supposed to collect the children this evening, however we have heard nothing yet from him. My partner is becoming increasingly stressed by this. We are standing our ground as we don't feel it's correct to ferry the children to a petrol station to be collected by their father, it is much safer and more importantly a routine for them to be collected from here. Are we in the wrong refusing to do as he requests? The situation regarding my house seemingly being the issue is not relevant however the children having a routine and seeing their dad is very relevant.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Since he clearly feels uncomfortable collecting from your home (some do) an alternative arrangement will have to be reached for the sake of the children.
This could simply be the end of the road following a call to say that dad is there
Is it pathetic? Undoubtedly. - but still not worth going to court over.
So offer an alternative that does not involve great effort on your part.
This has assumed that there is no substantial difference in terms of distance from the previous property.
Please ask if you need further details