How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35058
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have been divorced for about 5 years and have 3 children,

This answer was rated:

I have been divorced for about 5 years and have 3 children, the youngest is going to be 16 in a few months. She and her older sister are still in shared custody between me and my ex-wife but they are increasingly unhappy at their mother's I think partially due to their relationship with her new partner. When she is 16 can my younger daughter decide where she wants to live full time or does this still need to be decided by the court whilst she is in full time education (her sister will be starting university in September)
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you
Once she is 16 it is entirely up to your daughter where she lives and with whom.
Indeed if she chose to move to live with you immediately and your ex applied to the Court to try and reverse this then it would be pointless as the Court would respect the wishes of your daughter given her age
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you